Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Supports Microsoft? Microsoft Supports Ubuntu?

Beans

Ubuntu Supports Microsoft? Microsoft Supports Ubuntu?

I think, as a member of the Ubuntu community, that it is true, Ubuntu supports Microsoft Windows, I also believe, Microsoft Windows supports Ubuntu.

Is anyone out there on Ubuntuforums.org willing to confirm this is true?

I was curious to discover the current status of Ubuntu's support for using Microsoft Windows, and especially given that there is a new release scheduled for Ubuntu this month.

It would be helpful to understand the future changes, for people like me, that use both Ubuntu and Microsoft Windows, and would like to understand better how they are supporting each other, and their unique features.

edit: I had another thread going that discussed this issue, but apparently people wont admit that Ubuntu supports using Microsoft Windows in any way shape or form! https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2496763
    Last edited by hyperlinxe; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:22 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Supports Microsoft? Microsoft Supports Ubuntu?

Your thread is very vague and the first response in your other thread was " Ubuntu and Windows 11 can co-exist peacefully" which contradicts the last statement in your post above. If you want specific information, ask specific questions. Ubuntu and almost all Linux systems have been able to access/read/write to windows filesystems for many years. Windows has some software such as WSL which has limited capabilities with Linux/Ubuntu. I don't know what your actual intent is and what you mean by supporting as they are separate systems and work well without any support/dependence on the other system.

Beans

Yes I do want specific information also, in addition to information generally.

If you have something to add in that respect, please feel free

I was curious to discover the current status of Ubuntu's support for using Microsoft Windows, and especially given that there is a new release scheduled for Ubuntu this month.
    It would be helpful to understand the future changes, for people like me, that use both Ubuntu and Microsoft Windows, and would like to understand better how they are supporting each other, and their unique features.
    Last edited by hyperlinxe; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No. Absolutely not.

Each OS does not support anything outside it's own OS. Canonical, which no one here works for Canonical, supports Ubuntu. Microsoft only supports Windows.

I can get into specifics, but it is pointless.

Windows has an EGO. I have discribed how it acts about anything other than itself as being a "Narcissistic Psychopath". It truly does not care that it's updates breaks anything outside of itself, because it is all that matters as a sole entity in it's own world. That may sound harsh. But the is the truthful, honest facts.

True, we have a Windows section in Other OS'es. We support a Virtualization Section, where we assist Windows Users trying to run Ubuntu inside a VM (I support Hyper-V, VBox, and VMware product VM Hosts). And assist Ubuntu Users who run Windows inside a VM on Ubuntu. We assist people who want to install Ubuntu alongside of Windows.

I support Ubuntu on WSL... But I start out with telling them that WSL is NOT Linux. It is a compatibility layer...

Anything about Windows "itself", and problems with Windows specifically, is sort of a gray area, but is really outside of "Ubuntu support". We are not here to concentrate on supporting Windows. That is not the "why" we are here.

It is not that I don't use or support Windows. This is not a Windows Community here. They have many. This community is for Ubuntu Linux.

Take for example the question of "support"... I am certified by Dell, HP, and Lenovo, and previously worked as an Onsite Warranty Tech. Each has Windows and Ubuntu pre-installed products. But if you call their support lines, they might answer some Windows problems, but if a problem with Windows itself, they will give you the number to call Microsoft. Most of their tier one go off of flow-charted scripts. Those script do nto even tell their anything about Ubuntu related information. I have had to tell them they sell machines pre-installed with Ubuntu... Their support sites say to come here to this Forum.

There is the black of white of things, where always and never exist. Most of us live in that gray area between those.

You can spin your wheels, not understanding what people have tried to explain to you. We do care. We have tried to explain how things work. We have tried to explain how the "Linux" ecosystem works, and how Ubuntu fits into that.

I don't know how else to try to explain this to you. It's basically an easy concept, but things do not work that way. I don't want to put you on ignore...

I don't understand. Days ago you started a thread bashing anything outside of Ubuntu, and specifically Windows. You said that Ubuntu could do everything better than Windows... This thread is a contradiction to much of what you said there.

Okay. What is the real story? What is your goal?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:01 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

What do you think about the windows PC then? The one which the Ubuntu operating system primarily revolves around?

I agree with you, I understand windows is very much closed off in it's design, but that doesn't change the broader reality, that each operating system supports one another uniquely.

Beans

Also, I'm not "spinning my wheels" here or playing games. I take computer technology very seriously actually, and have also spent my life working with computers, and operating systems.

I hope you would take the time to respect other people, and their unique views, instead of just flatly contradicting them, and telling them repeatedly they are wrong.

Also, if you are not a developer of the Ubuntu operating system, than why would any of us assume, that it is appropriate for you to speak for them!

As an outsider, I happily support Ubuntu and Microsoft Windows, and their interoperability. But in this case, I am referring to the development of Ubuntu specifically.
    Last edited by hyperlinxe; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hyperlinxe View Post
    What do you think about the windows PC then? The one which the Ubuntu operating system primarily revolves around?
    What do you mean here? Ubuntu does not depend on a Windows PC.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not a request for help with the OS. Moved to ULOSC.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

This is also a request for help! I am seeking to use both Ubuntu and Microsoft Windows, as reported in the thread that was closed. I want to understand the points I've raised, in order to better use Ubuntu! And especially given it's new release!

Help!

Beans

What do you mean here? Ubuntu does not depend on a Windows PC.
    Yes the "PC" is a computer operating system, made up of hardware and firmware, that most people in the world rely on! And it is designed specifically for Microsoft Windows, and in partnership with Microsoft Windows. Ubuntu, the other operating system, is based primarily on the Microsoft Windows PC! This is common knowledge! Why do you feel the need to contradict people so frequently!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast