Thread: Remmina to Mac works great for about half and hour and then it needs restarting.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Remmina to Mac works great for about half and hour and then it needs restarting.

I've been using Remmina to access a Mac via VNC on my home LAN. It works great for a while but eventually, it goes into a state where clicking on something either does nothing or it brings brings into focus a different application or maybe even one that's not running at all. Clicking Firefox tabs just gives the tabs a blue hue but doesn't switch between them anymore. My workaround is to close Remmina, wait a few minutes, reconnect, and I'm working again for about another half hour. I monitored its memory usage with top -p <process_number> and it stays pretty stable so it doesn't look like a memory leak. Even if I just let it sit there and do nothing, it will still eventually start acting wonky if I grab the mouse and try to do something.

Any ideas on what I can look at?

[ I've tried other clients like vncviewer, xtightvncviewer, tigervnc. They all connect but won't scale the remote screen to the window size so all I see is the top-left corner of the mac's desktop. Specifying "-geometry 1440x810" doesn't do anything either. ]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Remmina to Mac works great for about half and hour and then it needs restarting.

virt-viewer seems to be working good. Faster than Remmina and it scales with the window size, like Remmina does. If this keeps working reliable, I can just remove Remmina and use this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Remmina to Mac works great for about half and hour and then it needs restarting.

OK virt-viewer for the win. It's been working flawlessly since I first tried it. Uninstalling other vnc clients and will look to see if Remmina already has a bug report and I'll create one if not.