Thread: tracker-miner filling my storage with the same log

Beans

Exclamation tracker-miner filling my storage with the same log

Hello,
    I am having an issue with my 64-bit Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS system (GNOME 42.9), the var/log/syslog and syslog.1 files are getting spammed by a repeating message that is filling up my whole 256 GB SSD (right now they are 23 GB and 89 GB in size respectively). What can I do to solve this? Below you will find the problematic log.
    Thanks

Code:
    Mar 15 16:08:10 matteo-laptop tracker-miner-f[2970]: g_file_has_prefix: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (prefix)' failed
    Mar 15 16:08:10 matteo-laptop tracker-miner-f[2970]: g_file_equal: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file2)' failed
    Mar 15 16:08:10 matteo-laptop tracker-miner-f[2970]: g_file_has_prefix: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (prefix)' failed
    Mar 15 16:08:10 matteo-laptop tracker-miner-f[2970]: g_file_equal: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file2)' failed
    ...and so on...

Beans

Re: tracker-miner filling my storage with the same log

Tracker miner is an idiotic desktop search function of Nautilus file manager. It can be disabled:
    "It appears that tracker can be disabled by simply going to Settings -> Search -> [Window bar] Switch Off."

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...syslog-at-boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After you disable that message, why not place limits on the sizes for your log files? /etc/systemd/journald.conf is the file where that can be accomplished. There's a manpage for it.
    Code:
    $ man journald.conf
    to see the documented options, but the file is already commented with explanations.

For syslog specifically, you can also limit the size of that in the /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog file. There should be 15 examples of options in the same directory. Nobody needs more than a few MB of logs. It isn't like you (or anyone) will be reading 1GB of logs. Having a reasonable limit is a good idea, especially if you use Gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Tracker miner is an idiotic desktop search function of Nautilus file manager. It can be disabled:
    "It appears that tracker can be disabled by simply going to Settings -> Search -> [Window bar] Switch Off."

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...syslog-at-boot
    I already tried that, the fix does not work. I keep getting the same logs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For 22.04.x:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -x /usr/libexec/tracker-miner-fs-3
    sudo chmod -x /usr/libexec/tracker-extract-3
    ...disables it's executable binaries. Strange, & out-of-the-box, but it works.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

+1 for removing the executable flags.

Also do a “kill -9 whatever” while you are at it, to actually stop the annoyance.

This annoying indexing program is one of the reasons I don’t use Gnome.
    Last edited by HermanAB; April 1st, 2024 at 01:11 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    For 22.04.x:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -x /usr/libexec/tracker-miner-fs-3
    sudo chmod -x /usr/libexec/tracker-extract-3
    ...disables it's executable binaries. Strange, & out-of-the-box, but it works.
    Thank you, I will let the PC run for a while and update this post to let you know if that actually solved it.